+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This 'saying' ?

Contributing User

Thumbs up Gottfried Leibniz

You were right I was speaking about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gottfried_Leibniz

The very same!! I just visited the Wikipedia link that you gave, I don't remember that much, I'm sure what I learnt of him was somewhat less than appears in Wiki: !!
    Many thanks

El. Matador

I didn't know that quote from Leibniz... nice!
    Gilles Deleuze used to say that every good writer, every interesting writer "speaks a language as a foreigner in that language". He spoke of agrammaticalities. An example is "she dance her did" instead of "she did her dance", where, he says, there is an expression that escapes mere words. A more common expression I can come up with is "I have one too many"... beauties of English. I guess in a certain sense English is a foreign language even for English itself.

Default This question?

Gabriel,

I have received notification of your post, but so far, I am not able to find it here.

I trust that I have not started a philosophical thread, I really do not intend to continue with it if it should develop thus!

I will only mention that, as I recall from the writing of Gilles Deleuze, he penned the phrase - "The philosopher creates, he doesn't reflect." I believe that he wrote, amongst the many literary feats of his, a couple of books on Capitalism and Schizophrenia. I never got around to reading them - probably because my French was not too good and continually referring to a dictionary lessens the enjoyment! Schizophrenia, I studied later in life and Capitalism - well, how do we live? according to the critics !!

El Matador
    (retreating from all this philosophical posting!)

Well, I don't think it is a question of trying to be or not to be philosophical. I can tell you that languages tend to move us that way.
    You were right about the writings of Deleuze, but I highly recommend "Critical and Clinical", where he analyzes all these "little speeches" by great writers. There you will find these ideas you were talking about.

Thank you Gabriel,

I know what you are describing, and I thoroughly agree.

I shall check out your recommendation, thank you.

El Matador

(Back to my retreat!)

Contributing User

Default Re: This 'saying' ?

Can Language Affect the Way We Think?

Recently, cognitive scientists have uncovered new evidence revealing that language does in fact influence the way in which we see the things around us. See here the complete post:
    Can Language Affect the Way We Think?

Default Re: El corro de la patata

En Argentina jugábamos a "Aquel manzano ya no floreció, será tal vez por su vejez", otro juego de manos que quizás sea el equivalente a ese juego en tu país.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information