+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Spanish / Latin Am. Spanish

 
  1. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    111

    Arrow

    Hola exxcéntrica

    First of all, interesting discussion here.

    So, which latin American spanish is closer to spanish spoken in espana?

    Which spanish should i learn to be able to communicate with spanish
    speaking individuals no matter where they from?

  2. #12
    Contributing User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ciudad de México
    Age
    50
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by youwho
    Hola exxcéntrica

    First of all, interesting discussion here.

    So, which latin American spanish is closer to spanish spoken in espana?

    Which spanish should i learn to be able to communicate with spanish
    speaking individuals no matter where they from?
    Let me answer your question, waiting for exxcéntrica to answer when she can.

    I think the problem is not where you learn Spanish, but where and with whom you have the opportunity to practice it. No matter you learn Spanish in México, if the only persons you can practice it are from Spain, the variety of Spanish you'll end up mastering will be the Spanish one.

    But then again, this is only a theory, for after learning English, I've really never practiced conversation with English native speakers, for I've found a bit difficult to get in touch with English native speakers in my city.

    I hope my opinion clears your doubt.

    Saludos

  3. #13
    Senior Member exxcéntrica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    1,241
    Rep Power
    1817

    Default

    Closest in vocabulary probably Mexicans, who speak "post cervantino" Spanish even though some words differ substantially. In correction, probably Colombia.

    Not in pronunciation though. Argentinians probably the most different together with Puerto Ricans and Dominicans and Cubans (spoken language).

    I think the best place to learn is Spain, because Spanish here is like sort of the origin of all the Spanish spoken and Castillian is definitely the best. The best place in Spain is also important: Castilla y León, Madrid and CAstilla la Mancha. In other areas you might get the local language, too.
    Los hombres son superiores a las mujeres porque Alá les otorgó la primacia sobre ellas. Portanto, dió a los varones el doble de lo que dió a las mujeres. Los maridos que sufrieran desobediencia de sus mujeres pueden castigarlas: abandonarlas en sus lechos, e incluso golpearlas.
    No se legó al hombre mayor calamidad que la mujer."


    El Corán (libro sagrado de los musulmanes, recitado por Alá a Maomé en el siglo VI)


  4. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    111

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosRoberto
    Let me answer your question, waiting for exxcéntrica to answer when she can.

    I think the problem is not where you learn Spanish, but where and with whom you have the opportunity to practice it. No matter you learn Spanish in México, if the only persons you can practice it are from Spain, the variety of Spanish you'll end up mastering will be the Spanish one.

    But then again, this is only a theory, for after learning English, I've really never practiced conversation with English native speakers, for I've found a bit difficult to get in touch with English native speakers in my city.

    I hope my opinion clears your doubt.

    Saludos
    thanks a lot carlos..i got your point.

    and by the way, your english is great.

  5. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exxcéntrica
    Closest in vocabulary probably Mexicans, who speak "post cervantino" Spanish even though some words differ substantially. In correction, probably Colombia.

    Not in pronunciation though. Argentinians probably the most different together with Puerto Ricans and Dominicans and Cubans (spoken language).

    I think the best place to learn is Spain, because Spanish here is like sort of the origin of all the Spanish spoken and Castillian is definitely the best. The best place in Spain is also important: Castilla y León, Madrid and CAstilla la Mancha. In other areas you might get the local language, too.
    thanks a lot for the reply and for the info. that was helpful

    you see..i live in the u.s and i really wanna learn spanish..and that's because i love the language and the culture as well. i was thinking of starting out by learning spanish in FL then probably travel to spain or latin america to learn the real stuff. that's when i have the $$$ to do so of course.

    anyhow, thanks a lot

  6. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    118

    Default

    Spanish is like English. If you learn English in Canada you will be able to speak to anyone in England, US, Australia and so on. Only the accent will change and some words. A Brit can understand a Canadian a Canadian an Australian an so on. So the same goes for A Guatemalan speaking spanish to a Colombian or Spaniar!!! Just the accent changes and some words.

  7. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by youwho
    thanks a lot for the reply and for the info. that was helpful

    you see..i live in the u.s and i really wanna learn spanish..and that's because i love the language and the culture as well. i was thinking of starting out by learning spanish in FL then probably travel to spain or latin america to learn the real stuff. that's when i have the $$$ to do so of course.

    anyhow, thanks a lot
    You living in the states gives you a great oportunity. As you can learn nutral spanish and go out and practice with so many different countries. In Florida I know you have, Cuban, Mexicans, Guatemalans.......for starters....you can practice your spanish with them and learn each individual variances.

  8. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chapinrico
    Spanish is like English. If you learn English in Canada you will be able to speak to anyone in England, US, Australia and so on. Only the accent will change and some words. A Brit can understand a Canadian a Canadian an Australian an so on. So the same goes for A Guatemalan speaking spanish to a Colombian or Spaniar!!! Just the accent changes and some words.
    i see your point.

    thanks for the reply.

  9. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    106

    Default Re: Spanish / Latin Am. Spanish

    Quote Originally Posted by mem286
    "Standard spanish" for Spain or any other country of Latin America, of course. Argentinians are the only ones who use the voseo. On the other hand if I make a translation for an Argentinian client I use the voseo, no problem at all. Get it?

    Best regards,

    I don't know about that in Central America we use Vos too.

    Saludos.

    A.

  10. #20
    Contributing User paulad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Argentina
    Age
    30
    Posts
    120
    Rep Power
    113

    Default Re: Spanish / Latin Am. Spanish

    Very nice discussion here!!!! A lot to learn!!

    I'm an Argentine translator, and sometimes I talk to friends from Spain of Latin America to ask for some advice whenever I come across a word that I don't know, for example...

    I would like to suggest this very interesting article about "voseo" that a coworker wrote a couple of months ago.

    http://blog-de-traduccion.trustedtra...009-01-07.html

    Lots of comments and opinions!

    Enjoy and hope you like it!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •