Hi All! A few tips on how to associate TranslateCAD and MemSource.
As you may know, TranslateCAD is a useful tool that exports "editable" content from AutoCAD files, making it ready to process the translation with the help of a CAT Tool. My experience so far had been with SDL/Trados, but I found some hurdles to jump when it came to use MemSource.
- Use "trans1" TXT file: Same as for SDL. No need to prepare the file any other way.
- Disable MT: Do not use Google as it disrupts the token encoding (##000001##) by adding extra spaces.
- Pretranslate non-translatable and leverage matches from the TM without blocking full/ICE match (101%) matching segments.
- Fix added characters from target: Not sure why, MemSource added a couple of symbols to the first token that need to be deleted from the target file.
- Save TXT using "unicode" encoding: Open TXT and save it as "unicode" file (instead of an ANSI one).
Why do I advocate not blocking full matches? AutoCAD callouts for drawing may need twisting of word sequence in the target language. You need to see things in context. Sometimes you may even get to the point of realizing there is a mistranslation when looking over/proofreading the PDF in the target language.
Hope it helps!