+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Giddy up?

Default Re: Giddy up?

Well if we´re just going to take random shots in the dark I would guess the expression referrers to someone with a hangover.

Contributing User

LOL! It could mean that as well, when you have a hangover you're sluggish, tired, and overall on slow mode.

Contributing User

LOL! True. I haven't had a hangover in a while but that's exactly how it feels.

Well, all of you are right to a degree. To have "a hitch in your giddy-up" is a pretty common phrase in EU. It's very informal and like many expressions it can have a variety of meanings. It generally means that someone has a problem with physical movement(s), like a drunk staggering, a person (or animal) with an injury trying to run, a golfer with a bad swing, etc.

It can also be used to describe a machine that isn't running right...a car engine that miss-fires, a balky copy machine, a malfunctioning telephone, anything that has a "hitch" in it's movement.

In short, it's a way of saying that something or someone is not performing quite right and can be applied to almost anything.
    vicente

Contributing User

Yay! Glad to here we are all right. Thanks for clarifying the definition for us. I am happy to have learned a new phrase and its meaning. I will make great effort to not have a hitch in my giddy-up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information