+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gary Glitter

Default To Sir, With Love

Ok, I just gave myself the joes to see To Sir, With Love. Lots of Cockney rhyming, but more importantly, great characters and Lulu belting out the title song so sweetly that it makes me cry.

Forum User

hah, I've never heard of it, but will definitly check it out

Default Pikey English

Quote Originally Posted by carlam
    Isn't Cockney what Brad Pitt speaks in Snatch??? Or am I totally off? I don't remember being able to understand anything they said.
    Brad Pitt's character in Snatch was speaking "Pikey" which is spoken by travellers/gypsies. In this instance they were Irish "pikeys" and pretty much no-one understands what they say!

Senior Member Frank van den Eeden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScottJ
    To Sir, With Love (a personal favorite of mine)....
    A marvellous movie indeed...
    did you notice that Patricia Routledge (Mrs. Bucket/Bouquet) starred in it?
    I recognized her by her voice!

Regards,
    Frank.
    beste groeten - sincères salutations - kindest regards - atentamente - mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ok, I just gave myself the joes to see To Sir, With Love. Lots of Cockney rhyming, but more importantly, great characters and Lulu belting out the title song so sweetly that it makes me cry.
    What does "I just gave myself the joes" mean Scott!!
    vicente

Typos come to light sooner or later...I had never noticed it. I meant to say "gave myself the jones", which is a phrase I don't even use in real life and yet I typed it out for the whole ESTO world to see...oh well. To have a "jones" to do something just means that you want to do something...similar to "ganas" in Spanish, actually, now that I think of how I would translate it; I'm not sure they're connected, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

Typos come to light sooner or later...I had never noticed it. I meant to say "gave myself the jones", which is a phrase I don't even use in real life and yet I typed it out for the whole ESTO world to see...oh well. To have a "jones" to do something just means that you want to do something...similar to "ganas" in Spanish, actually, now that I think of how I would translate it; I'm not sure they're connected, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were.
    Oops. I didn't know the difference anyway! Well, to have a "jones" is a new one on me. This forum is teaching me humility!

Thanks Scott!
    vicente

In the brief time between responses, I did a bit of research and it turns out that the word "jones" in this context originated in terms of d*** addiction...not that I am necessarily familiar with that in any way. There was a movie from 1997 and a song from 1972 named "Love Jones", Cheech and Chong parodied the song with "Basketball Jones", and D'Angelo had a song called "Jonz in my Bonz" on his 1995 album "Brown Sugar". That is the extent of my familiarity with the term, to give you a better perspective.

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me Scott! At least the next time I see or hear it I won't be scratching my head!
    vicente

Default To Sir, with Love

Hey Scott, any idea the name of that film in Argentina?? I would like to hire the DVD. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information