+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This 'saying' ?

Default This question?

Thank you, Isabel, for your input. It makes a little sense, and helps a little bit! Although I do not visualise manzanares running in circles, it could be referring to his little runs between pases as being repetitive and pointless!
    Thank you

El Matador

Contributing User

Default playing merry-go-round

Would merry-go-round be an equivalent of 'el corro de la patata?'
    We need some help from translators with English mother tongue.
    What's the children's game where they hold hands forming a circle, and then turn faster and faster until the circle breaks?
    Is it 'Ring around the Rosie'?
    Last edited by hugocar; 11-06-2007 at 09:03 AM.

Default This question?

Following the post by Isabel, I researched the children’s song avenue and came up with this
    "El corro de la patata" is a song that Spanish children sing, where they grab each others' hands forming a circle and run faster as the song progresses, until the circle comes apart because they are moving too fast. In this context, I would suggest that Manzanares was moving in circles, or making repetitive movements. It is just a guess and obviously, if there is someone whose knowledge allows us to learn another meaning, I shall wait in hope! In the meantime I add the words and possible other titles for the song which is similar to the English "Ring around the Rosy/Roses" / A la Rueda Rueda / El corro de la patata.

Al corro de la patata,
    Comeremos ensalada,
    como comen los señores,
    naranjitas y limones
    achupe, achupe,
    sentadita me quedé.

Saludos a todas

El matador

"Ring around the rosey,
    pockets full of posey,
    ashes, ashes,
    We all fall down."

It looks like the Spanish rhyme has the same structure as this one we used to sing. That's interesting, though it doesn't add anything productive to the translation itself.

Default This question?

To every one who has been involved in this thread, I am happy to state that I have just received the whole paragraph, and I copy it here -

"A Manzanares no le hacía demasiado feliz que le cogieron los juguetes y menos feliz le hací el abuso. Ademas, su juego era otro. Cantaba El nombre de María, que cinco letras tiene...y, a su ritmo, giraba al corro de la patata. Ahora bien, para esta función pegaba carreritas freneticas. Un pase, una carrerita; otro pase, otra carrerita. Innercesario ejercicio, pero ya se sabe que lo de este torero, cuando hace el corro de la patata, es correr."

It seems that the whole report is based upon toyshops, and the playing of childrens' games. So, thanks to Isabel and all of you for your help. The thread would now appear to be closed!

Saludos

El Matador

This has been a very interesting thread.
    I am a Spanish native from Argentina and I didn't have the slightest clue of what this expression could mean!
    It doesn't cease to amaze me how local idioms and expresios can be so different and completely inintelligible to other speakers of the same language

I agree with Scott J, Ring around the Rosie is a good comparison. thanks for the info!

Default This question?

Socios,
    I have received notification of a post by Veronica, who is a Spanish native living in Argentina. The post doesn't appear here at this time, but I would reply to Veronica by quoting from Charlemanne - 742 to 814, King of the Franks, Emperor of the West; who said "To have another language is to possess a second soul"

Saludos

Colin

Contributing User

Talking Leibniz and El Corro de la Patata

Quote Originally Posted by El Matador
    "To have another language is to possess a second soul"
    Leibniz “really believe[s] that languages are the best mirror of the human mind, and that a precise analysis of the signification of words would tell us more than anything else about the operations of the understanding”
    Last edited by Gustavo Lucardi; 04-22-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Hello Gustavo,
    Thanks for your reply, I thought I had ended the post - However--! Your reference to leibiniz, now when I was at university - (Oh so many years ago), I seem to remember that there was a German rationalist philosopher, Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz (1646-1716), would this be the source of your reference / quote? Probobaly not, the spelling has an 'i' missing after the 'b'. However, without starting a philosophical thread, I agree with the words! I notice that you are on line now, so will probably pick this up soon!
    El Matador.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information