+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for a woman who I hate to see but love to watch leaving

Forum User

Default Re: I'm looking for a woman who I hate to see but love to watch leaving

Almost forgot about that! Thanks a lot to you guys for your help!

Default Re: I'm looking for a woman who I hate to see go and yet love to watch leaving

@allana: It should be …whom I hate
    @ricardor >>" que odie verla ir, pero que ame verla partir"...<< I think your version is good, and agree with your approach.
    @Bassia: you need to check your grammar, that doesn’t sound right —to say the least.

Here are my two cents:

>>I'm looking for a woman who I hate to see go and yet love to watch leaving<<

Estoy buscando una mujer a quien no soporte ver partir y sin embargo adore ver cuando se vaya.

Although I think that not only to convey the meaning of the original sentence, but also to make it sound natural in Spanish, it would be something like this:

Busco una mujer que no desearía nunca ver partir pero que sea un alivio cuando se marche.

How about,

Busco a una mujer que no suporto pero me gusta cuando se vaya..

Default Re: I'm looking for a woman who I hate to see go and yet love to watch leaving

I think you are getting confused, the original sentence said a Woman I hate to see but love to watch leaving, in your translation you added A Woman I hate to see go. hating to see her go is very different from just hating to see her...

>>Busco a una mujer que no suporto pero me gusta cuando se vaya..<<

suporto = soporto

me gusta cuando se vaya = awkward structure in Spanish
    Last edited by Cotty; 12-27-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by InglesporDavid View Post
    I think you are getting confused, the original sentence said a Woman I hate to see but love to watch leaving, in your translation you added A Woman I hate to see go. hating to see her go is very different from just hating to see her...
    In this thread for some unknown reason there are two different quotes to translate. One with go and one without go.

In my suggested version I was using the quote with go. The one without go makes no sense to me.

allana, just out of curiosity, why are there two quotes to translate? And, which is the one that you really needed.

Thank you,

si, yo habia deletreado soporto como suporto, oops..
    No sé de Venezuela pero aca en Chile "Me gusta cuando se vaya" no suena tan torpe... Pero creo que la frase tiene mas sentido con "go" "I'm looking for a woman who I hate to see go and yet love to watch leaving" It makes more sense in English, it is a reference to liking the way she looks when she walks away, or to put it more plainly, you like the way her a** looks. In English, it is basically a crude remark..

Hola David:

>>No sé de Venezuela pero aca en Chile "Me gusta cuando se vaya" no suena tan torpe...<<

No acostumbro a enfocar las traducciones con lenguaje coloquial sino más bien con formalidad y precisión léxica y gramatical. Si manejas la terminología gramatical y si deseas, cuando disponga de tiempo, te puedo explicar porqué esa oración no está correcta desde el punto de vista formal.

>>...it is a reference to liking the way she looks when she walks away...<<

No creo que esa sea la interpretación correcta tampoco. No se refiere a verla caminar sino a verla marcharse.

Saludos,
    Last edited by Cotty; 12-27-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Well when I grew up in the U.S. it was a common saying, I hate to see her go but I love how she looks walking away, referring to her appearance from the rear.. It seems to be a version of that same sentiment to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information