+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: long time no see

 
  1. #1
    Senior Member Frank van den Eeden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Age
    71
    Posts
    429
    Rep Power
    1135

    Default long time no see

    long time no see

    I used that expression yesterday in a post to Mercedes (Miscellaneous).
    It is a common expression in the UK.
    But then I thought, where does it come from, and looked it up :
    "Long time no see" Is an English expression used when people haven't seen each other in a while. It probably originates from a Chinese expression, hence the non-English syntax. The Simplified Chinese is 好久不 ('hao jiu mei jian' or 'ho noi mou gin' in Cantonese) which literally means, "very long-time no see". An alternative, though less convincing, theory is that it comes from Native American Pidgin English, or an imitation of such speech.


    好久不


    Frank.
    beste groeten - sincères salutations - kindest regards - atentamente - mit freundlichen Grüßen

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    1,676
    Rep Power
    3149

    Default

    Hello Frank, long time no see!!

    This expression is very common in the U.S. although it is used more by older generations.

    I have NO idea where it originated.
    vicente

  3. #3
    Forum User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    118

    Default

    Thanks for the explanation, I use it all the time, but have always been a bit miffed about the grammar.

    A bit like: No can do

  4. #4
    Senior Member mem286's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Santa Fe, Argentina
    Posts
    1,295
    Rep Power
    2218

    Default

    Very interesting Frank!!! Thanks!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    353
    Rep Power
    401

    Default

    That expression is very well know...and I'm amazed that it comes from Chinese...how odd!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Dragona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    226
    Rep Power
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vicente
    Hello Frank, long time no see!!

    This expression is very common in the U.S. although it is used more by older generations.

    I have NO idea where it originated.
    OK, it's official, I'm old
    I use the expression all the time when I haven't seen someone in a long time.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    1,676
    Rep Power
    3149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragona
    OK, it's official, I'm old
    I use the expression all the time when I haven't seen someone in a long time.

    HAHAHA!

    Welcome to the club Dragona! Actually, I shouldn't have said that it is an old folks expression. It's just that I don't hear it much anymore, especially from kids. Maybe they do use it.
    vicente

  8. #8
    Senior Member Dragona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    226
    Rep Power
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vicente
    HAHAHA!

    Welcome to the club Dragona! Actually, I shouldn't have said that it is an old folks expression. It's just that I don't hear it much anymore, especially from kids. Maybe they do use it.
    Dude, I was born in the late 70s, didn't think I was that old! (even if my kids think so! But their comments are coming from 6 and 4 year old kiddos so I let the comments slip!)
    But I'm part of the club now! yey!

  9. #9
    Contributing User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ciudad de México
    Age
    50
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragona
    Dude, I was born in the late 70s, didn't think I was that old! (even if my kids think so! But their comments are coming from 6 and 4 year old kiddos so I let the comments slip!)
    But I'm part of the club now! yey!
    Please, Dragona, don't make me feel older than I already am. I was born in the late 60s, and you say you're old! As my aunt Carmela (she's 101 years old) said one day to my mom: "Si eso dice bizcochito tierno, qué dirá pan duro".

    Saludos

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •